12.20.2012

Lavender-Colored Glasses


Right now, I should be in Missouri. If everything had gone according to plan, I would be sitting on the couch, cuddled up to my mom while watching random television shows on the HGTV channel; or an inspirational talk from a past General Conference (chosen by my darling father). I would be covered by a blanket, feeling nostalgic since most of the blankets at my parents' house have established a permanent place by traveling through the years between my siblings and me. I would be tempted to snag some candy from my dad's notorious junk food cabinet or maybe not at all, since I might be full from an amazing home-cooked meal.

But alas, I am sitting in front of my computer, here in my bedroom, in the middle of Salt Lake City. Coughing and sneezing as thick newly-cut bangs graze my eyelashes, wearing bright red lipstick (I put it on when I need a pick-me-up). Today, my flight was cancelled due to weather conditions in the Midwest...

Once I found my way through the airport and to my assigned gate, I sat down, put on my earphones and started a movie on my little iTouch. Totally oblivious to the world around me, I didn't hear the many announcements concerning the cancellation, nor did I see the large group of people around me stand up and leave, most of them quite belligerent I'm sure. When I finally heard the makings of a man yelling through his phone, I looked up and saw the empty section of chairs.

...I was so confused. Had I missed my flight? No... It wasn't supposed to board for another 30 minutes. Was I at the wrong gate? No... I triple-checked my boarding pass. I turned off the movie and gathered my belongings, standing up hesitantly, feeling like I was in the Twilight Zone. Just then, a cute little old airport man found me. Now mind you, I have been pretty sick for the past week and today was one of the worse days yet. I was already barely-functioning and slightly drugged up on Dayquil. He told me my flight had been cancelled and I still didn't understand. I looked up at the monitor above me and saw the bold red letters "CANCELLED" next to all flights from SLC to Kansas City. By the way, why red? The color which symbolizes rage?? Yes, what great way to let holiday travelers know they're plans were just flushed down the toilet. I'm just saying... Maybe announce it in a nice lavender or Spring-sky blue.

Finally, it hit me that I wasn't going to see my family and friends back home as soon as I had expected. The Dayquil was wearing off and I looked at the little old man as tears started welling up in my eyes. I feel bad for the guy. He gave me that look, the one they always give me of panic, guilt and "please don't cry" concern. He had no idea what to do. I'm betting he handles irate customers better than crying twenty-something-year old girls. But after the crying subsided and I took a deep breath, I realized there was nothing I could do to make that airplane fly to Kansas City today (well, not successfully anyway). And I remembered how I don't believe in coincidences. Both made me feel better and allowed me to gain my composure long enough to re-schedule a flight for this weekend. Granted, once I called my mom to tell her the news, that composure dissipated and I found a bathroom stall to rush into (I loathe crying in public).

So... this story doesn't really get any happier. Except for the fact that I have so many amazing people who were willing to rescue me from the airport in the middle of a Thursday afternoon. Also, I won't have to fly with a mega head/sinus cold. My sister in-law Kelly informed me that perhaps my eardrums would have exploded while in the air due to intense pressure. That does not sound like an experience I want to have. And I've been given another day or two to recover before seeing my people back home. There are some positives to this situation (and probably a few others I am not aware of) and those are the things I prefer to focus on (after crying in the middle of an airport restroom of course... I had to get it out of my system).

I hope your holiday plans are falling into place. If they aren't, I hope you can find a way to see the good and hilarious in every situation and make the most of it! Easier said than done, but definitely possible. As one of my good friends once told me, "If it turns out crappy, just embrace the crappiness! Life is short." Amen. :)

6 comments:

Molly said...

Also, this:
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your d*** lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Areeba Khan said...

Make Earning on your Every panels you purchase, Many types of Earning Systems
<a href= http://bannersbroker.com/MrSanghani17 A

urdu master said...

Very Nice Blogger....

kanch said...

amazing !

ivan koki said...

As nice blog,but you could have made this blog more cool if you could configure thehttp://www.iessaywriting.net/
language changer pluigin but all the same you have done a good job))

Kamao Poot said...

Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
EarningsClub.com