11.07.2011

Design Ain't So Bad

My Graphic Design class is pretty alright. It's not everything I thought it would be. Or rather, I'm not as interested in the subject as I expected. But our latest assignment was to create a custom book cover design for one of our favorite books (how do you choose, right?). And I have to admit, this is something that I daydream about on a regular basis. When I read a great book, one of the first things I do is imagine up the perfect cover for the story. I have an entire layout of designs for the Harry Potter series inside my head right now. Gabriel thinks I should contact the publishing company and see what they think. Now that I am learning my way around Illustrator, we'll see if I can put my ideas onto the screen. Who knows, maybe I'll take him up on his idea...

But for now, I gotta stick to my class assignments and see where they take me. Here is my custom designed book cover for Gone with the Wind...

Photobucket

("Michael Schiffer" and the "New York Daily" are both fake. We had to make up our own worded reviews, as well.)

What do ya think? The thing about Illustrator is that you have to start from scratch. No icons. No clip-art. The only available pre-designed elements are fonts. So I'm pretty pleased with the finished product, considering how much time and energy I spent creating each detail. And, uh... if any publishing companies are reading and interested, email me and we can talk. ;)

2 comments:

Victoria Waugh said...

I'm impressed! I like the silhouette on the bottom. Very clean. Looks great!

Ashley said...

This is so cool, Caty! I love it! You really should do more of these. And then teach me how to do it :)