5.16.2011

Jane Eyre

Photobucket

"Jane Eyre was beautifully made. Although I have yet to watch a film adaptation that includes the entire ending."

That was my first review when I saw Jane Eyre over the weekend. I thought Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) as Jane and Michael Fassbender (X-Men First Class) as Mr. Rochester were brilliant. The mood of the film was spot on. It isn’t a fluffy story. It is raw without being harsh and depressing. It is a love story that approaches the battle between passion and reason; and introduces the idea that they can live one in the same if dealt with correctly.

My problem with every film version, until this one, was always the lack of emotional connection between Jane and Mr. Rochester. I never believed it. All I saw were the actors, not the characters. And while nothing can hold a candle to the book itself, there are some seriously emotional scenes in this movie, scenes that make you feel as if Jane and Edward will die at being separated. And I really appreciated that.

If you love Jane Eyre, I think you should see this movie. Unless you enjoyed the version with William Hurt. Then I don’t even know. Just kidding. But seriously, William Hurt is NOT Mr. Rochester. Michael Fassbender? Definitely getting warmer.

No comments: