4.08.2011

Poached with Love

When I was a little girl, I thought poached eggs were actually "poached" chickens. As in: illegally hunted and killed chickens. I was distraught.

That isn't necessarily why I had never eaten a poached egg until last night. I had never felt compelled to try it at a restaurant. I am thankful for that now. It could have ruined my first experience, which took place tonight in my very own kitchen.

I found a simple tutorial while food/recipe blog stalking. I followed my instincts to try it out. I got home, pulled out the ingredients, and took a deep breath...

Photobucket
For the record, I was prepared to do this quite a few times, having heard it was pretty difficult. All of those eggs were preparing themselves to be poached.

Photobucket
My first attempt was a complete failure. But I don't know what I was thinking; the water wasn't nearly hot enough.

Photobucket
My second attempt. Success!

How I poached an egg: Bring a pot of water to the point just before simmering. Start swirling the water, creating a whirlpool, with a spoon. Drop the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. Let the egg cook for 3 to 4 minutes (keeping the whirlpool steady).


Photobucket
I put the beautiful thing on top of toast.

Photobucket
I ate it and I loved it. Poaching does something to an egg. It changes the flavor. Don't think of scrambled eggs, omelets, or fried eggs. When you poach an egg, a lot of that "eggy" flavor dissipates. Instead, the yolk inside turns into a rich, buttery sauce.

Photobucket
Amazing.

2 comments:

katelin ruth said...

are you sure its a buttery taste? i might have to try this. it looks delicious, but ive always been scared. hmmm.....

Caty said...

It is still going to taste like an egg. But the yoke is a LOT more savory and buttery than any other kind of cooked egg. I hope you try it!