4.05.2011

anaPad

Photobucket

I recently came across the Esty shop TwigCreative and their newest product called the "anaPad." It is a "creative tablet" for children and serves as a teaching model that "promotes analog learning and creativity in a digital world." Basically, it is a small marker board with "app" magnets that children can rearrange and draw around.

At first, I wanted to be bothered by the idea. It sounded like a way to get kids hooked on iPads, iPods, iTouches, i-Etcetera. But then I realized if you want to get a kid hooked on an iPad, give them an iPad. I know I am going to be super hesitant about letting my children get too familiar with any electronics. But whether it's bothersome or not, our progress in technology and electronics is very much real and a part of life now. We just have to teach children how to deal with it properly. I think it is vital to make children use their imaginations to entertain themselves, instead of providing instant entertainment through digital devices.

After reading more about the anaPad and its real purpose, I kinda love the idea. It could teach children about the general format of technology, without the instant gratification. They become familiar with the source, but not the results. They can play with the recognizable magnets and possibly even come up with their own little applications/games. I wouldn't rush out and buy the thing, but I appreciate the balance it offers between manual and electronic recreation.

What do you think about the anaPad?

Photobucket

1 comment:

Sara Zahn said...

When I saw it yesterday I thought the EXACT same thing at first. I was upset that they were yet again trying to take the simpleness of being a kid out of being a kid. But I agree with you, it is a ton better than just giving them an ipad/ computer to play with (which they actually have done a lot of advertising to convince parents that ipads are perfect teaching tools for children) I don't have a problem with it, I just know personally that besides movies and the occasional cartoons my kids are going to be old fashioned and craft with crayons and paper, play with mud and sticks and use their imagination in the "real world"