1.20.2011

One for the Books

If you have never watched Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network Channel, you should. It's hilarious. It even brings tears to my eyes when the contestants get emotional about how their lives have been harder because they cannot cook. I think it was in the second episode that the chefs/judges had them make Herbed Pork with Sundried Tomato Butter and Asparagus. It looked amazing. So I decided to make it myself (hoping mine would turn out better than some of the contestants'...).

Photobucket
The ingredients. I was kind of a slacker. I didn't have any grapeseed oil, so I used peanut oil instead (a good substitute for cooking meat). And I couldn't find fresh thyme anywhere. I just left it out... sadly.

Photobucket
Get your fresh herbs chopped up real fine-like. I suppose you could use dried parsely and sage, but trust me, fresh herbs always taste so much better in any and all dishes! Also throw some salt and cajun seasoning in there.

Photobucket
Then finely chop up a few sundried tomatos (in oil).

Photobucket
Add it to some softened (not melted) butter and whisk it up until evenly mixed.

Photobucket
Form it into a cylinder as best as possible on some parchment paper as best as you can (this is why melted butter won't work).

Photobucket
Wrap it up and put it in the fridge until you are ready to serve dinner.

Photobucket
Now, after going at the pork loin with a meat tenderizer to flatten, dredge it in flour.

Photobucket
Fry it in some oil with parsely (and thyme, if you can find any).

Photobucket
Take a big bunch of asparagus and prepare by breaking off the thick stems.
Yes, my asparagus was in the fridge a little too long.
And yes, I used it anyway.

Photobucket
Boil the asparagus until it is bright green (2 to 3 minutes-ish).

Photobucket
Viola! Break out the butter and cut into medalions to place on top of the pork. And enjoy!
It would have been better with grapesee oil, thyme, and fresh asparagus. But considering all of that, it tasted really yummy!

Full recipe here.

3 comments:

Marigrace said...

Looks absolutely delicious!! You are such a good cook!

GenoCyDe said...

I'll succeed in making great food....someday

Caty said...

You most definitely can make great food! All you need is patience, practice, and someone you care about to cook for (I think that makes a big difference).