12.30.2010

Three Things

1. I always carry a camera, whether it be my Canon or my point-and-shoot.

2. I don't like libraries. I don't know why, but the feeling of them isn't my favorite and I really can't enjoy reading a book when I have checked it out from a library. So that means I almost always buy a book before ever reading it. It has only ended badly a few times... I buy a book. Start reading it. Come across bad language or scenes that I don't want to read about. Bummer. To minimize the risk of this happening, I always look up reviews on the book I am interested in (thank you Internet!). There are also a few sites that give really good content reviews like this one.

3. I judge books by their covers. Not all books. If I already know the book rocks, I will read it anyway. But when I see a book for the first time and the cover stands out to me, I want it. Badly.

I bring these things up because of last night. Every time I go to a bookstore, I end up leaving with a dozen photos on my camera. It's a good way to make a visual shopping list of books I want to remember. Also, I don't like buying a book when I don't know what it is about. After taking a photo, I go home to look it up online. It's a process that has saved me a lot of money and left me with tons of random book-photos on my computer.

I will share when I found last night at Borders. If anyone has read or heard of the books below, feel free to let me know what you thought about it (Some of them I don't know anything about).
.
Photobucket
This one can wait, but I am excited to buy it eventually. I love Bakerella and all her unique creations.
I think the little popcorn bags on the bottom right are my favorite. Too cute!

Photobucket
This book is part of a "series" of cookbooks (you can tell by the covers). The one I have is the Ingredients cookbook I blogged about a while back. I love them all and hope to get the whole set some day.

Photobucket
Another cookbook in my sights. Have you ever seen Julie & Julia? Wonderful movie!

Photobucket
I just glanced through this book briefly. The idea is attractive to me: self-sufficiency through gardening and food storage and such.

Photobucket
This book just looks like fun.

Photobucket
I thought of my chemist-brother Morgan when I saw what the book was about. Not too sure about the details, though.

Photobucket
A lot of people I know have read this book. Though I am not really into historical non-fiction books, I think this one may be an exception Any comments?

Photobucket
Random, right? Barbra Streisand has been showing up in my life everywhere lately. It all began with Funny Girl and The Mirror Has Two Faces. Then it was a simple song from Yentyl that Gabe and I both became obsessed with ("Papa, Can You Hear Me"). While looking through the Interior Design section at Borders, I saw this and, for no reason other than the fact that she keeps popping up everywhere, I opened it. And oh my goodness. Fabulousness. Streisand's home is breath-taking. And she designed it all. I have decided that I have to get this book. It is inspiration. Fabulous inspiration. I think this woman is just going to have to be one of my heroes.

Photobucket
Pretty things.

Photobucket
Another random whim; Marilyn Monroe. One of the most sexily-admired women in the world and this book is filled with her personal poems and notes. Intriguing, though she seemed to suffer a lot. So this probably isn't the lightest of reading.

Photobucket
Cute cover and I guess it's a classic?

Photobucket
Books and clouds. Though I have never heard of the two novels included.

Photobucket
I first saw these books in Wal-mart and the covers literally screamed at me, "I am fantastical. Read me!" There are three or four books by this guy and I desperately hope the stories inside are just as wonderful as their covers.

5 comments:

Sunshine said...

Funny Random Thought: The snow book would be AWESOME - in Chicago. :)I'm just saying...HEHE

Marigrace said...

What a great collection of books!! Dad has "Guns, whatever and Steel". He loved it... you can check it out of our library anytime :)

Duree Pamilya said...

Jason totally surprised me and got me Bakerella's Cake Pops book for Christmas! I hadn't even mentioned to him how much I had been wanting to flip through the pages. It is adorable. She gives so many amazing ideas and tips/tricks for the perfect cake pop. If you want to borrow it, let me know and I'll bring it to church some sunday :)

morgan said...

Actually, I just listened to a program on NPR the had the author of The Disappearing Spoon. It basically give a history and a bunch of interesting stories about all the elements. Sounds good (to me).

Molly said...

I haven't read Guns, Germs, and Steel, but Jared Diamond is *fantastic*! Started Water for Elephants yet?

Also, LOVE!