12.14.2010

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

Don't you just love Seinfeld?
There is something about that show... It is hilarious. That's what it is.
 And when I saw Pioneer Woman's recipe for Mulligatawny soup, I was too excited to wait. I cooked it that night. It was last night to be exact. And I urge every single one of you to make this dish. It is amazing. I can see why Jerry and the group were traumatized at being kicked out of the Soup Nazi's kitchen:
Mulligatawny is to diiiiie for.


Photobucket
Dice up chicken and cook it in butter.

We are already off to a great start.


Photobucket
Chop up an onion and a few cloves of garlic.  

Warning: your eyes will be burning at this point; along with every other human being in your home.

Sautee in more butter (in the same pot). Then coat it with flour and curry.


Photobucket
This is my new FAVORITE flavor. I hate spicy food... because I am a wimp and I can't handle it.
It wasn't until I studied curry and actually cooked with it last night that I realized the "spicy" I am used to basically sucks.
You can't taste any food while your mouth is on fire. It irks me.
But curry! Beautiful curry! There is a super hot curry, I am sure. But I used the regular golden kind.
It has the best savory depth without adding any gross bitter-spicy-flavor.

 It is love, in other words.


Photobucket
Now add chicken broth and Half & Half. Let it cook for about five minutes.
Then throw in the cooked chicken and, here is the real kicker, diced up green apple!
At this point, I just kept reminding myself where this recipe came from.
I have faith in PW.


Photobucket
While the entire soup concotion was simmering, I buttered some french bread and baked-broiled it in the oven.

Please excuse the oven window through which this photo was taken.


Photobucket
The finished product. I have never tasted anything like it.
The curry was, as mentioned before, to die for.
And the apple really did make a pleasant difference to the texture and taste.

Just another PW recipe I highly recommend!

3 comments:

Sara Zahn said...

Curry is amazing, it is one of my favorite flavors. You should look up a good Chicken Masala recipe, you will DIE at how good it is. Also, check out Gem of India, they do a lunch and Dinner Buffet that is incredible. In fact, maybe you, me and our hubs should do a double date there :)

Jeni Brown said...

I love curry I have a really yummy chicken and broccoli casserole that has curry in it that you would love let me know if you want the recipe!

Caty said...

I want BOTH of those recipes! :)
I will definitely look up Chicken Masala and Jeni, you should Facebook me yours!