11.16.2010

Oh, Christmas Tree!

Gabriel and I are living in an apartment right now. It is cozy (for lack of a better word). Okay, so it's tiny. But we are okay with that for now. We only have a few months left of having neighbors directly beside and above us. Due to the lack of space in our home, we haven't really had the option of having a conventional Christmas tree, fake or real. Though, for the record, at Christmastime, we will always have a real living coniferous in our home covered in lights and baubles.

But for now, we have decided to use our creativity. Some of you may remember the felt tree we used last year...


It was a huge hit. Unfortunately, right now it is folded up in a closet. Because this year, we have even less space to utilize. Since this photo was taken, we have put a big bookcase in that very spot and filled it with dishes, kitchen appliances, cereals, and a fruit bowl. After spending weeks trying to figure out what to do for a tree, I finally found my inspiration in a magazine I had picked up at the store.

And so, I present to you the Ariciu Christmas tree of 2010...

Here is the story. We have a lot of books. But that doesn't really cover it. We have TONS of books, everywhere in our home. On the floor, underneath table lamps, on our coffee table, underneath our computer monitor... everywhere. Because we love to read everything. And I have a weird reservation about libraries, so I buy books before reading them. We have accumulated quite a collection.

So, I felt that having a "literary" Christmas tree was somewhat appropriate for us. I used all hard-cover books and it stands two feet tall. The trunk is made with a few taller brown books that I tied together with twine. The top is crafted from green hard-backs of various sizes. I cut up a few pages from an old, useless book we had planned on giving away and fashioned a bow for the tree-topper. I got some fake snow for added effect. Although I think it looks more like clouds, I wasn't about to buy the messy scattering snow. :)

We are pretty pleased with how it turned out.



7 comments:

Alison said...

It looks super cute! I don't know if I've ever told you but I love your decorating style, so fun.

Corrine said...

very impressive! I like it!! You are so creative!

Marigrace said...

How cool!!!

MNM: Mangum Family said...

That's awesome!

Joni said...

i love your ideas. you are so creative! the one on the wall is definitely a great idea if you don't have a lot of space.

Margo said...

Hello, I would love to post about your book tree on my blog. I will of course, link to your site. Do I have your permission?
Thank you,
Margo

Caty said...

Definitely, Margo!