1.21.2010

Sleep.

Thank you to everyone who participated in my poll concerning how much sleep you get every night! Most of you say that you get between 6 and 8 hours (which is awesome!). We had one person who gets, on average, over 9+ hours (I am in awe) and one who sleeps five hours or less (Get more sleep!).

Right now, I am slightly obsessed with sleeping. Not the action of sleeping, but the concept and importance of the process. It really is one thing that we can NOT live without; Food, water, and sleep are the three essentials, right? I used to stay up really late and love it, but now I am starting to listen to my body in a better way. I try to get into bed by 11 pm. It doesn't always work, but I feel it is a good goal to have.

Right now, I am reading How to Sleep Soundly Tonight. The author gives tips for a better sleeping ritual (Did you know warm feet are a natural sedative? So, if you are having a hard time sleeping, put on some socks!) and dives into the different aspects of how our culture handles sleep (we tend to treat it more as an inconvenience than a necessity).

It is fascinating how much of a difference it makes to literally prepare your mind and body for sleep, rather than doing your day-to-day things and then getting into bed without a thought. Praying, reading, meditating, breathing exercises, warm tea, stretching, etc are all things that help prepare me for bedtime. I will leave you with a couple of quotes from various sources that the author has inserted into the margins of the book.

"Always buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes. If you're not in one, you're in the other."
-Gloria Hunnford

"A well-spent day brings happy sleep."
-Leonard Da Vinci

"There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep."
-Homer (not the one from The Simpsons)

"The world might, indeed, be different if everyone got nine hours sleep, and if key decision makers were not among the least rested members of our society."
-Gay Gaer Luce

"I wake up in the morning torn between the desire to save the world and to enjoy the world." -E.B. White

"Who does not like to fall asleep with the rain beating on the roof and the wind rubbing the outer walls, while oneself is dry and warm in a comfortable bed?"
-Sena Jeter Naslund



No comments: