3.30.2009

Peace is to Order as Caty is to Chocolate

Feng Shui:
the Chinese art or practice of creating harmonious surroundings that enhance the balance of yin and yang, as in arranging furniture or determining the siting of a house.


I am a big believer in the
idea of Feng Shui. From personal experience, I know that changing the colors of a bathroom can really improve your morning routine of cleaning, makeup, and hair. I can attest to the fact that rearranging your bed, for some reason, will cure the problem of terrorizing nightmares [Maybe it is like reverse-hypochondria for furniture: I believe if my bed faces the west, it will cure my nightmares. But, in fact, it only works because I believe this so avidly]. Either way, I am more than happy to sleep a whole night without dreaming about murder, suicide, or some other form of evil manifestation.
My mood can be altered simply by entering a different room.

Living Room
Our living room is not the best; it lacks proper wall decor, complementing colors, and so on (due to the lack of time and currency). We recently moved a lamp into the corner to improve the lighting. It helped, but it was a mere step toward my goals for the room. This part of the house reminds me of struggle, not progress. We have DVDs stacked on the floor, yearning for shelves. There are papers along the wall, without a good basket or cabinet to place them in. And the area rug on the floor matches our couch exactly (yikes). It reminds me of what I am not able to achieve (or purchase). Unfinished, unrefined... blegh.

Bedroom
Our bedroom was in the same state as our living room until last night. I was sitting on the couch, in a grumpy mood, when Gabe said, "Let's go put the bed frame up." We have a beautiful bed frame. But we are lazy and busy at the same time, so it has never been put together. Our box springs and mattress have been laying on the floor for six months. I know, shameful. I reluctantly go help him (because I am grumpy) and walking into the bedroom does not help my mood. Messy and chaotic. We finally get the bed put together and this does wonders to the room. We make the bed and look around at the scattered items on the floor. We decide to clean (happiness). After three hours of vacuuming, organizing, tossing out useless things, and moving the dresser to another position, this room has been transformed. This is now our favorite room in the house (and it is really fun to clean with Gabe, we had a blast).

After I woke up from a nap on the couch today, I was reminded of the scatter-brained living room and wished I could close my eyes again. A while later, I migrated to the bedroom to floss (it's a new obsession and that's where our bathroom is) and I found myself savoring the order. I was instantly in a better mood.

So, if you are having chronic nightmares, move your bed so that it faces another direction (ya never know!). If you are having a rough time in life, reorganize your furniture. When you live somewhere, it should be a refuge, not a reminder of obstacles. Home should be a Heaven on Earth. And Heavens aren't chaotic, messy, or unrefined...

3 comments:

TannHart said...

My thoughts EXACTLY...if my house is a mess then so am I!

Staci said...

I know how you feel! I'm lucky and never get nightmares but I do get a little insomnia and moving my bed a different direction stops it and makes me sleep again. It's weird and even though feng shui is pretty much a physiological thing it works!I enjoyed reading that thanks lil lady :)

Maureen said...

I completely agree! No wonder my husband rearranges the living room every 3 or 4 months. (for a while, I just thought he craved change....but I think it makes all of us feel better)

Right now my favorite room is my little boys room. It is small...contained...and thereby the most organized and fuctional room in the house (not to mention quick clean up). Looking forward to the day (as I'm sure you are) when all the rooms in our home will be that way.

Well, maybe not my older kids room....but the rest! :)