7.17.2008

New Hobby

In the midst of hanging out with my amazing husband, working two very part-time jobs, and seeing family and friends throughout the week, I still wanted something of a hobby. I used to paint a lot more (I really should start that again) and I've had scrap booking phases. I wanted something to do that I could really enjoy and that would be useful/productive again. Having a friend who makes adorable dresses on Etsy.com (Tasha; see my links for her site), I browsed the site to see what I could find. I came across someone who took plain baby onesies and glued felt designs on the front. CUTE! Since some day (not today though) I will be pregnant and have little Catys and Gabes; and because I know so many that are already pregnant, I figured it would be perfect to be stocked up in modern and creative onesies. I decided to hand sew the felt on (I love that look) instead of gluing. Here is my first batch...

Tie (baby's Sunday dress) and Lollipop

I made this pink Xbox controller for my brother Jacob's upcoming daughter.

Giraffe and Africa

SACTM= South Africa Cape Town Mission (Gabe's mission)

12 comments:

brightonEarly said...

Cassi was telling me about these the other day. Cute! Are you just going to keep for yourself and gift them, or are you going to take a stab at the wonderful world of all things handmade?

Caty said...

i would like to try and sell them. i used to sell paintings for kids' bedrooms but it didn't work out too well. have any tips for me? does etsy work for things like that?

ourbanksaccount said...

i love them, i want one for parker!

brightonEarly said...

Etsy can work for almost anything. A lot of people sell art on there. The only category that I would say to stay away from is jewelry. It's SWAMPED. You really do have to work at promoting, both on and off Etsy, plus you need a paypal account. You also have to pay fees for listings and sales.

Caty said...

Lisa, what would you like Parker's to have on it? I love sewing them!

I might try Etsy after we move to Utah and get settled. I wouldn't want to have to start up a whole project/business like that in the midst of moving all the way to the West!

The Toland's said...

Cute... So did you check out some of my onesies to get your cute ideas? Yeah I was going to sell my handmade onesies and dolls and other crap that I make with felt on Esty but I realized everyone that shops esty is creative enough to make their own haha. But thats ok I have had some great opportunities to sell my stuff at boutiques here in Utah. I also agree that hand sewing is better quality then glueing. Some advice you should look into selling them at boutiques in Mo. and also making them for friends for gifts is always fun!

Katie said...

i thought you were preggo for a sec! pheww.

Caty said...

A lot of people thought I was preggo. But nope... just bored! Lol

Steph, that's a really good idea! I did see your pictures and your monsters are amazing. I'm thinking of what to create for my next batch... we'll see what happens with my needle and thread!

ensign_avenger said...

That's just perfect- something for that little Gabe to tear off and choke on!

(If you want to sell online, get a website and use social media a lot!)

Caty said...

You guys and choking hazards, my goodness. ;)
Yes, it's way dangerous and something to be aware of, hence why I sewed everything on real nice and tight.

James Lee Vann said...

The felt doesn't really concern me- I trust your sewing skills. The buttons, on the other hand... they could break. I'd advise sticking to felt.

Caty said...

I jut put a warning on the onesies. Everything out there has a choking hazard, you just have to be way careful and sew them on nice and tight and make sure they stay that way!